The KNAPP®-Dowel is a strong and durable self-holding plastic dowel available in 6×28 mm, 8×36 mm and 8×50 mm. It grips itself into the borehole due to its special design of threaded ribs and lengthwise groove, hence, no clamping or glue is needed.
KNAPP®-Dowel self-tightening plastic dowel
$47.50 – $253.00
Case Goods and Furniture
Windows and Doors
- Predrill boreholes
- If used with glue – add KNAPP®-Adhesive PU+ (Z011/1)
- Insert KNAPP®-Dowel using a dowel insertion machine or hammer in by hand
- Assemble workpiece with a rubber mallet
- KNAPP®-Dowel grips itself into the borehole best when the borehole is just slightly less in diameter than the dowel. We recommend:
- 8 mm – 8.2 mm diameter borehole for the 8×36 mm and 8×50 mm KNAPP-Dowel for dowel insertion machines.
- 5/16 (7.9 mm) diameter borehole can be used for the 8×36 mm dowel when inserting by hand (without dowel insertion machine) for a tighter fit if needed.
- 6 mm diameter borehole for the 6×28 mm KNAPP®-Dowel for dowel insertion machines.
- 15/64 (5.9 mm) diameter borehole can be used for the 6×28 mm dowel when inserting by hand (without dowel insertion machine) for a tighter fit if needed.
- Through the lengthwise grooves, the KNAPP®-Dowel has an oval shape and brings pressure only to two sides of the borehole walls (rather than all around), thus ideally when a KNAPP®-Dowel is set into the borehole on the edge of a board. It should sit so the pressure goes towards the lengthwise direction of the edge rather than towards the edge.
- Due to the ridges on the dowel being threaded, the dowel can be screwed in and out. This is especially helpful if the dowel needs to be taken out after being installed.
Note for CNC machining centers and insertion of the KNAPP®-Dowels:
- The depth of the total borehole for the 6×28 mm KNAPP®-Dowel (K066) should be approximately 30 mm.
- The depth of the total borehole for the 8×36 mm KNAPP®-Dowel (K067) should be approximately 40 mm.
- The depth of the total borehole for the 8×50 mm KNAPP®-Dowel (K069) should be approximately 55 mm.
- When used with a CNC machining center, the drill hole on melamine or laminate surfaces should be chamfered 0.5 – 1 mm for better insertion of the dowel. This will ensure correct insertion without the dowel catching on the edge of the material.
- In case you are using an automatic dosing device, the glue quantity can be set optimally for the entire borehole space by means of the dosing setting. Optimum distribution of the glue is ensured.
- When using our dowel with a CNC machining center, we recommend using PVAc white glue. Optimal dosage is easily set via the system. It also ensures easy cleaning of the system.
- Tip: for 600 mm (material length) up to 6 KNAPP®-Dowel are recommended, depending on the material. Do not mix with hardwood dowels because of the differences in accuracy.
- Tip: For preparation work, please refer to the general instructions.